- Hotel overview
- Short break offers
- The bedrooms
- Food & wine
- Relaxation & leisure
- About the area
- Room auction
- Job opportunities
- Finding us
- Booking & brochure
At Appleby Manor we take our commitment to the environment very seriously, to this end we have enrolled in the Cumbria Business Environment Network and have attained a bronze award for our efforts to date, This is an award for organisations and companies starting along the pathway of assessing their environmental impact and committing themselves to improvement in their environmental performance through the development of an Environmental Management System (EMS).
The Directors, Managers and staff of the Appleby Manor Hotel recognize and accept that the activities involved in running the business necessarily impinge upon the environment.
In an effort to minimize these effects, the Hotel is committed to a policy of sound and responsible environmental management, leading to a sustainable use of resources and optimal management of waste.
Therefore the Hotel undertakes that it will:
• Ensure that all employees at all levels are aware of the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance, and will provide specific environmental training to this effect.
• Communicate this policy and promote environmental awareness amongst all employees
• Display this policy statement in a prominent position within the Hotel
• Make this policy statement available to all interested parties on request.
• Endeavor to prevent pollution and comply with all applicable environmental legislation as a minimum standard.
• Promote the principle of sustainable development whereby the present needs of the Hotel will not compromise the abilities of future generations to meet their own needs.
• Adopt a policy of green procurement, taking environmental factors into account in all purchasing and supplier contracts
• Provide locally sourced produce where available and never knowingly use genetically modified ingredients or products.
• Take all measures that are reasonably practical to reduce waste at its source.
• Re-use waste components where it is safe and practicable to do so.
• Recover/recycle those fractions of the waste stream where an outlet is available.
• Dispose of final wastes by the most environmentally suitable means.
• Adopt the practice of responsible energy management through reduced consumption and the encouragement of energy efficiency throughout the business.
• Encourage the use of public transport and provide facilities for the disabled, pedestrians and cyclists.
• Aim for continuous improvement.
This policy statement will be reviewed annually to ensure that it remains applicable to the activities of the Hotel and any agreements made between the Hotel and its stakeholders.
Signed: Mike Dunbobbin
Date: 24th July 2009